The Ketogenic diet is a diet of low carbohydrates and high fats content. It involves drastically reducing the intake of carbohydrates and replacing them with fats. This process causes a condition in the body known as ketosis.
The body makes use of the fats as energy supply rather than the normal use of carbohydrates. Ketogenic diet can result to a great decrease in the blood sugar and inulin level in the body. It is also accompanied with numerous health benefits.
People with diabetes, overweight or high metabolism related problems are encouraged to go on a ketone diet. This review will give a guide on how to go on ketone diet.
Reduction in the intake of foods high in carbohydrates is a great way to start a ketone diet. Foods high in carb should be reduced to the minimal level or eliminated if possible as the case may be. These foods include:
- Sugary foods: These are substances like the fruit juice, cake, ice cream, candy, soda etc. These foods contain high sugar level in the form of fructose in fruit juice, sucrose in sugar, lactose in milk etc.
- Grains and starchy foods: Examples of this category includes rice, wheat base product, cereal, pasta etc.
- Fruits: All fruits except small portion of berries like the strawberries should be avoided. Fruits contain Fructose, a very high level of sugar and it can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Legumes or beans: Foods like pea, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils etc. should be limited.
- Roots vegetables and tubers: Roots and tuber crops like the potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc. are rich in carb and should be avoided.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are foods highly proceed containing very high carb.
- Unhealthy fats: The consumption of products like processed vegetable oil, mayonnaise etc. should be limited.
- Alcohols: Alcohols contain high level of carb; thus they are not suitable for a ketone diet.
The diet of an individual embarking on a ketone diet should center on the following foods listed below.
- Meat: Red meat, teak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey should be consumed on a regular basis.
- Fatty fish: There are some fish which possess high fat content. This includes the salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
- Eggs: Pasture or omega-3-whole egg are recommended for this purpose.
- Butter and cream: This also is considered a great diet for the process. It is tactical to watch out for grass-fed butter and cream if possible.
- Cheese; Unprocessed cheese are recommended. They could range from goat to mozzarella to cheddar etc.
- Nut and seeds; this includes the almond, walnuts, flak seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds etc.
- Healthy oil: Their members are the coconut oil, the avocado oil and the extra virgin olive oil.
- Condiment: These are herb and spices that are healthy for the body. They include salt, pepper etc.
- Low-carb vegetables: Most green vegetable, tomatoes, onions, pepper etc. are a member of this category. They are low in carb content.
For lover of snacks, there are some approved ketone snacks to consume. They include the 90% dark chocolate, cheese with olives, 1-2 hard-boiled egg, strawberries and cream, celery with salad and guacamole and a full-fat yogurt made with almond milk, cocoa powder and nut butter. Even when ordering for foods in restaurants, ensure to order ketone friendly meals. Ketone friendly meals like the omelet, bacon, cheese, etc.
You can also add supplements to your ketone diet. Although not necessary but it could be useful for a number of people. These supplements include MCT oil, minerals, caffeine, exogenous ketone and the whey. The MCT oil can be added to your drink or yogurt as it supplies energy and increase the ketone level. Mineral like salt also supplements the ketone diet. You can also use half a scoop of whey protein in yogurt to increase protein intake.
A strategized ketogenic meal plan should be ensured and adhere to. Below is a simple ketone diet meal plan drafted for a period of one week?
Breakfast: Bacon, egg and tomatoes.
Lunch: Chicken salad with olive oil and feta cheese.
Dinner: Salmon with asparagus cooked in butter.
Breakfast: Egg, tomato, bail and goat cheese omelet.
Lunch: Almond milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder and stevia milkshake.
Dinner: Meatballs, cheddar cheese and vegetables.
Breakfast: A ketogenic milkshake.
Lunch: shrimp salad with olive oil and avocado
Dinner: Pork chop with parmesan cheese, broccoli and salad.
Breakfast: Omelet with avocado, salad, peppers, onions and spices.
Lunch: A handful of nuts and celery sticks with guacamole and salsa.
Dinner: Chicken stuffed with pesto and cream cheese, along with vegetables.
Breakfast: Sugar free yogurt with peanut butter, cocoa powder and stevia.
Lunch: Beef stir-fry cooked in coconut oil with vegetables.
Dinner: Bun-less burger with bacon, egg and cheese.
Breakfast: Ham and cheese omelet with vegetables.
Lunch: Ham and cheese slices with nuts.
Dinner: White fish, egg and spinach cooked in coconut oil.
Breakfast: Fried eggs with bacon and mushroom.
Lunch: Burger with salsa cheese and guacamole.
Dinner: steak and egg with a side salad.
It is important to note that the vegetables and meats should be rotated over a long period of time in order to obtain maximal benefits the different vegetables and meats supplied to the body.